BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team pulled into a tie atop the Conference Carolinas West Division with a tight 3-1 win at Emmanuel College on Friday evening. The Tornado took two sets 29-27 along with winning the opening 25-23 to take the match.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Emmanuel 1 (21-25, 25-14, 25-22, 25-19)
LOCATION: Shaw Athletic Center; Franklin Springs, Ga.
RECORDS: King 15-8, 11-3 Conference Carolinas; Emmanuel 14-12, 10-3 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado came out and posted 15 kills and a .278 in the opening set.
- King tried to gain separation with a 4-0 run started by a pair of Brittney Ramsey kills to take a 9-5 lead.
- The Lions came back and evened the score at 11 before the teams started to trade points.
- The set was even at 23 before King scored the final two points to take the set 25-23.
- The King offense improved in the second set, recording 19 kills and hitting .255.
- King again made a move with a 5-1 run to take a 9-5 lead. A Ramsey block capped the spurt.
- Again the Lions worked their way back to even the tally at 10.
- Emmanuel scored four straight points to even the set at 22 before King had the first chance at set-point following a Julie Ward kill.
- The Lions then had a chance to win the set, but Ward came up with a kill and an ace.
- The score was even at 27 before Ward came up with a kill and a ball handling error gave King the set 29-27.
- The Lions went on a 5-0 run to take a 9-5 lead in the third set and used a 4-0 spurt to extend the lead to 13-8.
- Emmanuel then closed the 25-16 victory by scoring the final five points.
- Emmanuel continued their run early in the fourth set, opening up a 13-6 lead with a 9-1 run.
- A block from Ward and Ramsey finally ended the run as King scored five of the next six points to pull within 14-11.
- Trailing 17-12, Kayley Holtzclaw ignited the Tornado offense with a kill that was followed by a block from Ramsey and Tristyn Lozano.
- King evened the score at 17 with five straight points before the Lions tallied a point.
- However, King responded with three straight points on a pair of kills from Remi Thele and Keri Ricker to take a 20-18 lead.
- The Tornado had a chance at set point, but the Lions scored consecutive points.
- Trailing 26-25, King had back-to-back kills from Holzclaw and Lozano to take the advantage.
- Following a Lion point, Ramsey came up with a kill and Rebekah Hill gave King the 29-27 win with a service ace.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ward led the Tornado with 23 kills and 14 digs while Lozano added nine kills and a team-high 17 digs.
- Ramsey added 11 kills and hit .524 with zero errors in the contest. She added 10 blocks, including one solo stuff.
- Holtzclaw chipped in with nine kills, hitting .444 with three blocks.
- Ricker handed out 49 assists and added 11 digs and three blocks.
- Sydney Pigage led the back row with 14 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Taylor Roberts led Emmanuel with 25 kills while Jessica Gray added 21 kills and 19 digs.
- Mia Cotton chipped in with 10 kills.
- Stephanie Hardy handed out 69 assists and Aysah Avery posted 23 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Tornado posted a season-high 14 blocks.
- Ward's 23 kills is one off of her career-high which she set on Wednesday night.
- Lozano matched a career-high with 17 digs.
- The 11 kills and 10 blocks for Ramsey are both career-highs as she posted her first career double-double.
- The double-double for Ward is her 12th and Ricker posted her 11th double-double.
- King stays on the road to take on Erskine College at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- Emmanuel hosts Lees-McRae College on Saturday.