BRISTOL, Tenn. – The King University women's volleyball team kept the momentum going from Friday night with a sweep of Erskine College on Saturday afternoon. Tristyn Lozano led the Tornado with a double-double as King took the Conference Carolinas match.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Erskine 0 (25-17, 25-12, 25-16)
LOCATION: Galloway Center; Due West, S.C.
RECORDS: King 16-8, 12-3 Conference Carolinas; Erskine 10-20, 4-10 Conference Carolinas
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tornado gained separation with an 11-4 run early in the opening set that was started by a Julie Ward kill and Cathy Scaniffe ace.
- Ward and Lozano each posted two more kills on the run that put King ahead 15-9.
- The Tornado then cruised to the 25-16 win behind a .250 attack percentage.
- King opened up a 13-5 lead following an 8-1 spurt in the second set capped by a block from Brittney Ramsey.
- The Tornado then closed the set on a 6-2 run as Victoria Gause gave King the 25-12 win with a block.
- Kayley Holtzclaw started a 6-1 run for the Tornado in the third set with a kill as King took a 15-6 lead.
- Erskine tried to come back a couple of times, but King had an answer each time, closing the set with a kill from Ward and ace from Claire Watson to take the set 25-16 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Lozano led King with 14 kills and 12 digs.
- Ward followed with eight digs and 15 digs.
- Sydney Pigage added 12 digs and Keri Ricker posted 28 assists and eight digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Katy Torgerson led Erskine with eight kills.
- Annie Franklin posted 14 digs and Sierra Wolter added 11 digs.
- Sarah Atkinson posted 14 assists and five digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The double-double for Lozano is her eighth of the season.
- King returns home to face rival Lees-McRae College on Saturday. First serve for senior day is scheduled for 12:00 p.m.
- Erskine takes on North Greenville University on Friday night.