BRISTOL, Tenn. –King University women's volleyball team advanced to the Conference Carolinas semifinals for the second straight season with their sweep of Converse College on Tuesday night. The Tornado capped an unbeaten home schedule with the 3-0 win.
FINAL SCORE: West No. 1 King 3, East No. 4 Converse 0 (25-14, 25-16, 25-14)
LOCATION: Student Center Complex; Bristol, Tenn.
RECORDS: King 18-8; Converse 10-23
HOW IT HAPPENED
- King started the match by hitting .379 with 14 kills in the opening set.
- The Tornado gained separation with six straight points early in the set to take a 9-3 lead.
- On the run, Sydney Pigage served up a pair of aces.
- The onslaught continued as King opened up a 17-5 lead as the run ended a 14-2.
- The Tornado scored the final three points, the last on a Tristyn Lozano kill to take the set 25-14.
- Pigage gave King a 5-1 lead and capped a 3-0 spurt with an ace.
- The Tornado made their move in the middle of the set, outscoring the Valkyries 10-2 to take a 20-11 advantage.
- Julie Ward eventually gave King the set 25-16 with her seventh kill of the set.
- Ward started a 5-0 run early in the third set with a kill and followed with back-to-back aces.
- King took a 6-2 lead following a Lozano kill and another Ward ace.
- Converse came back to get within 9-8, but the King responded with an 8-1 run to take a commanding 17-9 lead.
- Ward posted four kills on the run while Remi Thele and Kayley Holtzclaw each accounted for one.
- With Ward at the service line, King scored seven straight points to have a chance at match point.
- Following a Converse point, the Tornado took the set 25-14 and the match 3-0.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ward led King with 19 kills while hitting .421 in the match. She added nine digs in the back row.
- Ward also led King with seven aces.
- Lozano followed with nine kills and a team-high 10 digs.
- Holtzclaw chipped in with seven kills while Brittney Ramsey hit .545 with six kills.
- Keri Ricker handed out 36 assists and added five digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Brittany Tepedino and Elizabeth Coffey led Converse with four kills each.
- Lauren Tharrington handed out 12 assists.
- Kelsey Elliott led the Valkyries with 13 digs while Tepedino accounted for 10 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Ward set a career-high with seven aces in the contest.
- King finishes 10-0 at home, their first undefeated season at home since 2013 when they went 18-0.
- The Tornado only dropped one set at home all season, going 30-1 in sets. King won their final 24 sets in the Student Center Complex.
- King advances to the semifinals that will be host by Belmont Abbey College on Saturday evening.
- The Tornado will face east division second seed Limestone College at 5:00 p.m.