BELMONT, N.C.. – The King University women's volleyball team advanced to the Conference Carolinas Tournament championship match for the first time in six years with a sweep of east division No. 2 seed Limestone College. The west division champion Tornado took the first set in extra points before cruising to wins in the final two sets for the 3-0 victory.
FINAL SCORE: King 3, Limestone 0 (26-24, 25-17, 25-14)
LOCATION: Wheeler Center; Belmont, N.C.
RECORDS: King 19-8; Limestone 17-11
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first set was tight as the Tornado hit .224 and closed the set on with a run.
- King trailed 21-18 before scoring four straight points to take a 22-21 lead.
- Julie Ward had a kill on the run and Brittney Ramsey posted back-to-back blocks.
- The score was tied three more times, the final time after King trailed 24-23.
- Ward then posted consecutive kills, giving King the 26-24 victory.
- That momentum carried over to the second set as King opened up an 8-2 lead following a 6-0 run.
- Sydney Pigage served up a pair of aces on the run while Tristyn Lozano capped the spurt with consecutive kills.
- The Tornado held that advantage throughout the set, taking the 25-17 win on a Lozano kill.
- The third set was the best set for the Tornado as they hit .340 with 18 kills and only one error.
- The King defense was just as stout, holding Limestone to a .019 attack percentage in the final set.
- Kills from Ward and Kayley Holtzclaw started a spurt before the duo teamed up for a block.
- Ward the capped the 4-0 run that gave King a commanding 14-7 lead.
- The Tornado then cruised to the 25-14 lead as Holtzclaw gave King the win and the sweep.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ward led King with 15 kills and 19 digs.
- Lozano followed with 12 kills and 10 digs.
- Keri Ricker handed out 35 assists and added 14 digs.
- Pigage led the defense with 31 digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Limestone was led by 10 kills from Vanessa Blas while Madysen Lousignont followed with eight kills and 10 digs.
- Bailey Carpenter led Limestone with 24 digs.
- Mia Bergan chipped in with 19 digs and added 27 assists.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- King has now won eight straight matches, their longest winning streak since winning 12 straight matches in 2013. King also had a 19-match winning streak in 2013.
- The double-double for Ward is her 14th of the season.
- Ricker posted her 13th double-double and Lozano's double-double was her ninth of the year.
- The 31 digs for Pigage is a career-high, topping her previous best of 27 set last season in the Conference Carolinas Tournament semifinal.
- King advances to the Conference Carolinas Women's Volleyball Championship title match for the first time since 2013.
- King will take on the winner between east division No. 1 seed Belmont Abbey College and west division No. 2 Emmanuel College on Sunday at 3:00 p.m. The final will be hosted by Belmont Abbey College.