BELMONT, N.C. – In what was reminiscent of a heavyweight bout, the King University women's volleyball team went blow-for-blow with Emmanuel College. King was the west division top seed and took the first two sets from the west division second seed. However, the Lions came back to win the final three sets and stun the Tornado with the 3-2 win.
FINAL SCORE: Emmanuel 3, King 2 (19-25, 18-25, 25-21, 25-22, 15-11)
LOCATION: Wheeler Center; Belmont, N.C.
RECORDS: King 19-9; Emmanuel 20-12
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The teams traded blows in the early going, but the Tornado went on a run in the middle of the set.
- Julie Ward sparked an 11- run with a kill. The Lions took both of their timeouts on the spurt as King turned a 7-6 deficit into a 17-9 lead.
- A pair of blocks from Brittney Ramsey and Remi Thele, along with a kill from Tristyn Lozano capped the run.
- The Tornado had to hold off a 5-0 Emmanuel run at the end of the set, but kills from Ward and Thele gave King the set 25-19.
- The second set started the same way, but King again made their move in the middle of the frame.
- A Rebekah Hill ace gave King a 7-5 lead and force a Lion timeout.
- Emmanuel took another timeout as King opened up a 15-8 following an 8-2 spurt.
- Ward had a pair of kills to end the run and another at the beginning.
- Kills from Lozano and Ramsey gave King the 25-18 win as the Tornado defense held Emmanuel to a -.026 attack percentage in the set.
- Emmanuel started the third set on a roll, opening up an 8-3 lead.
- However, King came back with a 7-2 run to even the set at 10 on a block from Ramsey and Keri Ricker.
- The teams then traded blows until the Tornado took a 20-18 lead.
- Emmanuel then closed the set by scoring seven of the final eight points, taking the set 25-21.
- The Lions scored five straight points to take a 9-5 lead before Lozano came up with a kill.
- However, Emmanuel continued their run with four consecutive points to take a 12-6 lead and force a King timeout.
- King fought back and evened the score at 21 following a Thele kill and Emmanuel miscue.
- However, the Lions scored four of the final five points to take the set 25-21.
- They traded blows in the fifth set before Ramsey came up with a kill and King scored back-to-back points to take a 9-8 lead.
- However, Emmanuel scored three straight points, forcing a King timeout
- Kayley Holtzclaw pulled King within 11-10 with a kill before the Lions closed the set on a run.
- Emmanuel scored four of the final five points to take the set 15-11 and the match 3-2.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Ward led King with 3 kills and 10 digs while Lozano followed with nine kills and 20 digs.
- Pigage added 19 digs in the back row while Ramsey posted nine blocks at the net.
- Thele and Holtzclaw followed with five blocks each.
- Ricker handed out 44 assists and added seven digs.
FOR THE FOES
- Taylor Roberts led Emmanuel with 14 kills while Jessica Gray followed with 13 and Mia Cotton chipped in with 10 kills.
- Gray added 12 digs while Aysha Avery led the Lions with 19 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Ward and Pigage were selected to the all-tournament team.
- King matched a season-high with 14 team blocks.
- The double-double for Ward was 15th of the season.
- Lozano set a career-high with 20 digs.
- The Tornado had eight seniors play their final match on Sunday, Lozano, Ricker, Cathy Scaniffe, Thele, Hill, Lozano, Pigage, Emma Carico and Victoria Gause.