LEBANON, Ill. – The King University women's wrestling team had a solid day at the Bearcat Open, hosted by McKendree University. The Tornado had seven individuals place, including a runner-up finish from Regina Doi, followed a pair third place finishers.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Doi started her day at 101 pounds with a 10-0 technical fall over Alaura Couch of Waldorf University before taking back-to-back pins.
- She pinned Maria Ahumada of Missouri Baptist University in 2:20 before pinning teammate Cassidy Ferrell in 4:29.
- Ferrell finished fifth at 101 pounds after starting with a 10-0 technical fall victory over Kassidy Ramierez of Bacone College. She then dropped her next two matches.
- At 136 pounds, Nicole Joseph went 5-1 on the day to finish third. She started with an 11-0 technical fall victory over Jazlyn Jackson of Emmanuel College.
- Following a defeat to the eventual champion, Joseph rolled off four straight wins, including a 10-0 technical fall victory over McKendree's Brianna Bogdan in the third place bout.
- Victoria Espinoza also finished third, going 4-1 at 191 pounds. She started with a 3-2 decision over Raquel Valderrama of Campbellsville University.
- She then topped Lindenwood University's Yalitza Ramos on a 10-0 technical fall before falling to the tournament's runner-up.
- Espinoza then pinned Valderrama in 2:19 before topping Missouri Baptist's Darci Manning-O'Brien on an 8-4 decision for third.
- Briana Kellin finished fourth at 123 pounds after starting her day with a 7-6 victory over Gabrielle Weyhrich of McKendree and a pin Monica Mendoza of Oklahoma City University.
- However, she fell to eventual champion Koral Sugiyama before coming back with a 12-1 technical fall victory over Daniela Flores of Oklahoma City.
- Jessi Kee got off to a great start at 155 pounds, winning her first two matches by pin. She topped Jennifer Pohle of Emmanuel in 34 seconds before pinning Evonne Evien of Menlo College in 5:55.
- However, her day was ended due to injury, giving her a sixth place finish.
KING RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
109 – Aleeah Gould 3-2, 7th
123 – Briana Kellin 3-2, 4th
136 – Nicole Joseph 5-1, 3rd
143 – Leilani Vital 0-2
155 – Jessi Kee 2-1, 6th
191 – Victoria Espinoza 4-1, 3rd
- The Tornado will be in action again on February 9-10 at the Women's College Wrestling Association (WCWA) National Championships. King has won the last four WCWA national titles.