OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. – The King University women's wrestling team finished the Women's Collegiate Wrestling Association (WCWA) National Championships with a sixth place finish and seven All-Americans. The day was highlighted by Marina Doi and Regina Doi in the finals at 101 pounds.
KING RESULTS: 6th of 31
LOCATION: Abe Lemons Arena; Oklahoma City, Okla.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Two-time national champion Marina Doi, forfeited, giving Regina Doi her first national title. The twins then left their shoes in the middle of the mat, retiring from competition.
- Seventh-ranked Jessi Kee earned a third place finish with a pair of wins on Saturday at 155 pounds. She started with a 10-0 technical fall over ninth-ranked Anna Naylor of University of the Cumberlands.
- She then took a 2-0 win over eighth-ranked Evonne Evien of Menlo University in the third place bout.
- At 136 pounds, fifth-ranked Nicole Joseph started her day with an 8-3 victory over 11th-ranked Anna Poyner of Missouri Valley College to reach the third place bout.
- However, Joseph fell to third-ranked Fran Giorgio of Simon Fraser University 8-4, giving her a fourth place finish.
- Ranked fourth at 109 pounds, Aleeah Gould came in with a fifth place finish, going 2-1 on Saturday. She defeated Leiana Nacapuy of Oklahoma City University 12-5 before falling to Jessica DeHart of Eastern Oregon University.
- In the fifth place match, Gould took an 8-6 victory over ninth-ranked Kateri Rowell of Grays Harbor College.
- Allison Petix entered the weekend ranked fourth at 130 pounds and finished with a seventh place finish. She went 2-1 on Saturday, starting with a 7-2 decision over eight-ranked Logan Mize of Lyon College.
- After falling to third-ranked Shelby Hall of Campbellsville University, Petix came back with an 11-1 technical fall win over 12th-ranked Alyssa Batiste of Lyon.
- The final All-American for the Tornado was Victoria Espinoza who had to injury default a pair of matches, but she finished eigth.
KING RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
109 – Aleeah Gould 5-2, 5th
123 – Briana Kellin 2-2
130 – Allison Petix 5-2, 7th
136 – Nicole Joseph 4-2, 4th
143 – Leilani Vital 1-2
155 – Jessi Kee 5-1, 3rd
191 – Victoria Espinoza 2-1, 8th
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Marina Doi earns All-American honors for the fourth time, taking runner-up as a freshman and winning national titles each of the last two years.
- Regina Doi also earns All-American honors for the fourth time, finishing runner-up last year and first this year.
- For the fourth time in her career, Kee is an All-American. She earned All-American honors at different weights each year, starting at 130 pounds as a freshman, 136 pounds as a sophomore, 143 pounds as a junior and 155 pounds this year.
- Marina Doi, Regina Doi and Kee join Alli Ragan, Julia Salata, Shannon Constantine, Sarah Hildebrandt, and Ashley Iliff as Tornado to become four-time All-Americans.
- For the second straight year, Gould finished as an All-American. She finished fifth a season ago and fifth this year.
- Petix, Joseph and Espinoza all earn All-American recognition for the first time.