FRANKLIN SPRINGS, Ga. – The King University women's wrestling team opened their season at the Lion Duals with a 2-1 mark. The Tornado defeated Tiffin University 35-12 and University of Alberta 33-12, but fell to Life University 23-20.
FINAL SCORE: King 42, Tiffin 14; Life 27, King 23; King 33, Alberta 12
LOCATION: Franklin Springs, Ga.
RECORDS: King 2-1
HOW IT HAPPENED – TIFFIN UNIVERSITY
- King got off to a good start behind a technical fall and pin from Jaclyn McNichols and Lesly Hernandez.
- At 101 pounds, McNichols defeated Trinity Oredina 17-6 while Hernandez pinned Brooke Richards in 6:00 at 109 pounds to give King an 11-1 lead.
- The Dragons took a win by forfeit at 116 pounds before King rolled off six straight wins, including a pair of forfeits.
- Briana Kellin pinned Jaelyn Fazio in 1:41 at 123 pounds and Cheyenne Sisenstein earned a 10-0 technical fall win over Shanna Morris at 130 pounds.
- At 155 pounds, Hailey Cancelleri earned an 11-0 technical fall over Taylor Hites.
- Nia Crosdale earned a 10-2 decision over McKehenna Calhoun at 170 pounds before Tiffin took a forfeit at 191 pounds, giving King the 42-14 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED – LIFE UNIVERSITY
- McNichols gave King the early lead with a 9-2 decision over Amber Garriga.
- However, The Running Eagles came back with three straight wins, two technical falls and one forfeit to grab the lead.
- Sisenstein tried to get the Tornado going with a pin of Aysia Cortez in 1:46 at 130 pounds.
- Nicole Joseph followed with a 10-8 decision over Erica Sotelo and Ashlynn Ortega even the dual score at 15 with a victory at 143 pounds.
- Ortega earned a 10-0 technical fall over Julia Vidallon.
- King then gained a 19-15 lead following an Ana Luciano 10-0 technical fall over Zoe Wright at 155 pounds.
- However, Life came back with back-to-back wins at 170 and 191 pounds to take the dual 23-20.
HOW IT HAPPENED – UNIVERSTIY OF ALBERTA
- Alberta got off to a good start, winning the first three matches to take a 12-1 lead following the match at 116 pounds.
- However, the Tornado came back with seven straight victories, starting with a 12-0 technical fall from Kellin over Tayler McPherson at 123 pounds.
- Sisenstein and Joseph followed with pins over Bryant in 1:44 and Krystin Paquette in 3:54, respectively.
- Ortega and Luciano followed with consecutive 10-0 technical fall victories over Haley Heffel and Megan Fendlete before a pair of wins capped the dual for King.
- Cancelleri pinned Vianne Rouleau in 1:51 at 170 pounds and Crosdale came up with a 1:07 pin at 191 pounds, giving King the 33-12 victory.
- King competes in the Emmanuel Open on Saturday.