ADRIAN, Mich. – The King University women's wrestling team was in action again on Saturday at the Adrian College Open. All 12 wrestlers placed with one champion and three runner-up finishes.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At 123 pounds, Cheyenne Sisenstein faced teammate Briana Kellin in the championship match, taking a 7-2 victory.
- Sisenstein reached the final with a 10-0 technical fall over Emmanuel College's Alexandra Herle while Kellin pinned Lakeland University's Maddie Rucksashel in 3:23.
- Alyssa Aceval finished runner-up at 136 pounds, winning her first three matches, two by pin and one by technical fall to reach the final.
- However, she fell to Marizza Birrueta of Emmanuel 4-0 in the final.
- The Tornado had five wrestlers finish third, started by Jaclyn McNichols at 101 pounds. She closed her day with a technical fall and followed that with a 2:06 pin of Ashley Duncan of MacMurray College in the third place bout.
- At 109 pounds, Lesly Hernandez fought back after an opening loss to win four straight matches. She closed the run with a pin in 30 seconds over Kylie Titus of MacMurray to take third.
- Makayla Welch also fought back after dropping her first bout, winning the last four matches. She topped Emmanuel's Alexis Encinas 9-8 in the third place match.
- Hailey Cancelleri reached the semifinals before a setback dropped her to the consolation bracket. She finished with a pair of wins, capped by a pin of Mara Eason of Adrian in 45 seconds.
- At 143 pounds, Ana Luciano won her final two matches to take third, pinning Mackenzie Matta of Adrian in 1:59.
- Rachel Hale finished fifth, while Amy Gathings and Allison Petix both finished sixth on the day.
KING RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
101 – Jaclyn McNichols 3-1, 3rd
109 – Lesly Hernandez 4-1, 3rd
116 – Makayla Welch 4-1, 3rd
130 – Allison Petix 2-2, 6th
155 – Hailey Cancelleri 4-1, 3rd
170 – Nia Crosdale 1-2, 2nd
- King travels to take on Life University on Thursday night at 6:00 p.m.