Nov 18, 2018
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At 136 pounds, Joseph won all five of her matches, including the final four by pin. In the final, she pinned Kelly Jimenez of the University of the Cumberlands in 4:13.
- Sisenstein also went 5-0, winning all of her matches at 123 pounds. She started her day with a pair of technical falls before a pin earned her a spot in the semifinals.
- She took the title with a pair of technical falls, including a 12-1 victory over Jathiya Isaac-Thomas of Wayland Baptist University.
- Makayla Welch and Ashlynn Ortega each finished runner-up.
- Welch won her first four matches of the day at 116 by technical fall to reach the final. However, she fell to McKendree University's Felicity Taylor in the final.
- At 143 pounds, Ortega took consecutive wins by technical fall before a 9-2 decision over Brianna Csontos to reach the final. However, she fell to Maya Nelson to take a runner-up finish.
- A trio of Tornado finished third, Briana Kellin at 123 pounds, Ana Luciano at 143 pounds and Nia Crosdale at 170 pounds.
- Kellin reached the semifinals with three straight wins by technical fall. Following a setback, she advanced to the third place match with a pin before defeating Koral Sugiyama of Campbellsville 6-4 to take third.
- Luciano won her first three matches, two by technical fall to reach the semifinal. She then took back-to-back technical fall wins following a setback to take third.
- Crosdale reached the semifinals with three straight wins, including a pin over Myranda Valezquez of the University of Jamestown.
- She fell in the semifinals, but won her final two matches to finish third.
- Jaclyn McNichols and Alyssa Aceval each finished fourth at 101 and 130 pounds, respectively.
- McNichols dropped her first match of the day, but responded with four straight wins, including two by technical fall to reach the third place match. However, she fell to Junenette Caldera 13-10.
- Aceval reached the quarterfinals with a pair of wins. Following a defeat, she won three straight matches before falling to Arian Carpio in the third place bout.
RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
101 – Jaclyn McNichols 4-2, 4th
109 – Lesly Hernandez 0-2
116 – Makayla Welch 4-1, 2nd
130 – Alyssa Aceval 5-2, 4th
170 – Nia Crosdale 5-1, 3rd
- The Tornado return to action again on January 4-5 at the NWCA National Dual in Fort Wayne, Ind.