BRISTOL, Tenn. – In their final tune-up before the WCWA National Championships, the King University women's wrestling team had seven placers at the Tornado Open on Sunday. Ana Luciano and Hailey Cancelleri led the way for the Tornado, each taking runner-up finishes.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Luciano went 4-1 in the round robin bracket at 143 pounds. She started with a 12-0 technical fall victory over Tiffin University's Eunique Davis.
- She earned a 12-10 decision over Hannah Gladden of Emmanuel College before a 12-1 technical fall over Hailey Finn of Life University. Luciano ended her day with a 1:08 pin over Tayler Kleemoff of Ferrum College.
- At 155 pounds, Cancelleri went 3-1 on the day, starting with a 9-0 decision over Emmanuel College's Mia Leon.
- She advanced to the final with a 10-0 technical fall over Kailee Godinez of University of The Cumblerands and an 8-0 decision over Taylor Hines of Tiffin. However, she fell to Tornado alum Brittany Faust in the final.
- Jaclyn McNichols, Cheyenne Sisenstein and Nia Crosdale all took third place finishes at their respective weight classes.
- At 101 pounds, McNichols went 3-2 starting with a 10-0 technical fall over Alisha Elizalde of Ferrum. She then earned back-to-back pins before dropping her final match in the round robin bracket.
- Sisenstein went 3-1 at 30 pounds, defeating teammate Alyssa Aceval 10-4 in the third place bout. Her other two wins came by pin and technical fall.
- At 170 pounds, Crosdale finished 3-1, starting with a pin over Chasity Cortez of Cumberlands in 23 seconds. She won her final two bouts, including a 1:52 pin over Cortez to take third.
- Aceval finished third at 130 pounds, going 4-2 and falling to Sisenstein in the third place bout. She took two wins by fall on the day.
- Lesly Hernandez came in with a fourth place finish as well, going 2-2 at 109 pounds. She won three straight matches following and opening defeat to reach the third place match.
- She pinned Dorinda Andrews of Cumberlands in 27 seconds and earned a 10-0 technical fall over Brooke Richards of Tiffin before falling 4-3 in the third place match.
RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
101 – Jaclyn McNichols 3-2, 3rd
109 – Lesly Hernandez 2-2, 4th
136 – Amy Gathings 1-2
143 – Ana Luciano 4-1, 2nd
155 – Hailey Cancelleri 3-1, 2nd
170 – Nia Crosdale 3-1, 3rd
191 – Denise Perez 1-2
- King takes the mat again on February 8 at the WCWA National Championships in Atlanta, Ga.