ATLANTA, Ga. – The King University women's wrestling team is in fifth place after the first day of the Women's Collegiate Wrestling Association (WCWA) National Championships. The Tornado have eight wrestlers remaining that have earned All-American honors, two that have a chance to win a national title on Saturday.
KING RESULTS: 5th of 36
LOCATION: Atlanta, Ga.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Nicole Joseph has reached the semifinals at 136 pounds and Ana Luciano reached the semifinals at 143 pounds. Each went 3-0 on the first day.
- Joseph started with 12-0 technical fall over Lilly Binion-Ferrell of Campbellsville University. She followed that with 10-4 and 6-3 wins over Kassidy Block of Adrian College and Erica Sotelo of Life University.
- Luciano did not get scored on all day, starting with a 12-0 technical fall over Southern Oregon's Veronica Coppolino. She followed with a 9-0 decision over Ottawa University's Lyric Gonsalves before ending the day with a 4-0 win over Sara Brinkac of Simon Fraser University.
- Jaclyn McNichols won her first two bouts at 101 pounds without being scored on, but fell in the quarterfinals. She won her final match 2-1 over Faye Cherrier of Life to earn All-America honors.
- At 123 pounds, Cheyenne Sisenstein went 3-1 after winning her first two bouts.
- The Tornado duo of Alyssa Aceval and Allison Petix will square off on Saturday morning in the consolation bracket at 130 pounds. Aceval went 4-1 on the day while Petix went 3-1.
- Ashlynn Ortega went 3-1 at 143 pounds, winning her first two bouts while Nia Crosdale did the same at 170 pounds.
RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
101 – Jaclyn McNichols 3-1
109 – Lesly Hernandez 0-2
116 – Makayla Welch 3-2
155 – Hailey Cancelleri 3-2
170 – Nia Crosdale 3-1
191 – Denise Perez 1-2
- Wrestling resumes with the semifinals at 9:00 a.m. on Saturday. The championship matches will take place later in the evening.