ATLANTA, Ga. – The King University women's wrestling team finished fifth at the Women's Collegiate Wrestling Association (WCWA) National Championships. The Tornado had eight All-Americans, led by a runner-up finish from Nicole Joseph.
KING RESULTS: 5th of 36
LOCATION: Atlanta, Ga.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Joseph started her day with a 5-2 victory over McKendree University's Alexis Porter to reach the final at 136 pounds.
- However, Joseph fell to Solin Piearcy of Menlo College in the final, giving her a runner-up finish.
- Cheyenne Sisenstein won all three of her matches of the day at 123 pounds, capping the run with a 7-6 win over Sierra Brown Ton of Colorado Mesa University in the seventh place bout.
- At 130 pounds, Allison Petix and Alyssa Aceval both earned All-America honors, finishing fifth and seventh respectively.
- Following a setback, Petix topped Cara Romeike of the University of Jamestown 7-0 in the fifth place match.
- Aceval bounced back from a defeat to Petix to top Wayland Baptist University's Amanda Alvarado 9-2 in the seventh place bout.
- At 143 pounds, Ashlynn Ortega and Ana Luciano each earned All-America honors, finishing third and sixth respectively.
- Luciano reached the semifinals on Friday, but dropped all three of her matches on Saturday to take sixth.
- Ortega won all three of her matches on Saturday, culminating in a 7-2 victory over Margaret Douma of Oklahoma City in the third place match.
- Freshmen Jaclyn McNichols and Nia Crosdale finished eighth at 101 pounds and 170 pounds respectively. Each earning All-America honors for the first time.
RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
101 – Jaclyn McNichols 3-3, 8th
109 – Lesly Hernandez 0-2
116 – Makayla Welch 3-2
155 – Hailey Cancelleri 3-2
170 – Nia Crosdale 3-3, 8th
191 – Denise Perez 1-2
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Tornado also earned the WCWA Team Scholastic Award for the eighth straight year.
- Petix was named a WCWA academic All-American as well.