IRVING, Texas – Members of the King University women's wrestling team competed at the Women's National Championships over the weekend. The Tornado had three placers on Friday at in the Junior National Championships and four on Sunday at the U23 National Championships
HOW IT HAPPENED – Junior National Championships
- Ashlynn Ortega led the way for the Tornado contingent on Friday, finishing third at 65 kilograms.
- She reached the semifinals with a pair of wins before a defeat that dropped her to the consolation bracket.
- She won both of her consolation matches by technical fall, including a 12-1 win over Cierra Foster in the third place bout.
- At 57 kilograms, Allison Petix finished fourth after reaching the quarterfinals with two wins.
- She then won three straight matches before falling to Xochtic Mota-Pettis, for the second time, in the third place match.
- Makayla Welch finished sixth, going 4-3 at 55 kilograms.
- She reached the quarterfinals before winning two consolation bracket bouts. However, she dropped her final two bouts to finish sixth.
- Jaclyn McNichols went 2-2 at 50 kilograms while Alyssa Aceval went 3-2 at 59 kilograms and Amy Gathings went 0-2 at 62 kilograms.
Results by weight class
50 kg – Jaclyn McNichols 2-2
55kg – Makayla Welch 4-3, 6th
57 kg – Allison Petix 5-2, 4th
59 kg – Alyssa Aceval 3-2
62 kg – Amy Gathings 0-2
65 kg – Ashlynn Ortega 4-1, 3rd
HOW IT HAPPENED – U23 National Championships
- Sunday was highlighted by runner-up finishes from Petix at 57 kilograms and Ortega at 65 kilograms. Each reached the best-of-three final at their respective weight class.
- Petix won her first three bouts to reach the final. In the final, she dropped the first match to Koral Sugiyama 8-2, before coming back with an 8-4 victory. However, Petix fell 2-0 in the final bout.
- Ortega won her first three bouts before falling twice in the final to Maya Nelson.
- At 50 kilograms, Aleeah Gould finished fifth and McNichols came in sixth.
- Gould worked her way through the consolation bracket to defeat McNichols 2-1 in the fifth place match.
- McNichols won her first two matches, but dropped three straight, finishing sixth.
- Aceval and Gathings competed on Sunday as well.
Results by weight class
57 kg – Allison Petix 4-2, 2nd
59 kg – Alyssa Aceval 0-2
62 kg – Amy Gathings 1-2
65 kg – Ashlynn Ortega 3-2, 2nd