Burnaby, B.C. – The King University women's wrestling team had a very productive day at this year's Simon Fraser International Open. The Tornado brought home two titles and was led by an amazing victory from Ashlynn Ortega, who defeated returning Olympic qualifier and World bronze medalist Michelle Fazzari in the finals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Danielle Garcia wins five straight after a tough first-round loss to one of the eventual finalists. This was not an easy road as three of the five were returning WCWA All-Americans. She takes four of these victories by pin to finish third at the 53kg weight class.
- At 55kgs Phoenix Dubose led the way with a close second place finish, with Makayla Welch finishing third.
- Allison Petix put together a strong day and took fourth at the 57kg weight class. After a tough quarterfinal, Petix immediately grabs a sub-minute pin to move into the consolation finals
- Alyssa Aceval expressed complete and utter dominance in her bracket. Not only did she take first, but she managed to complete all matches in less than 30 seconds by pin.
- At 62kgs Nicole Joseph grabbed a quick pin early but a tough semi-final loss to the eventual champion would cut her finals goals short. She recovered with another one minute pin to take fourth.
- The biggest story for the day and arguably the entire tournament was the first place victory from Ortega over 2016 Olympian and 2017 World bronze medalist Michelle Fazzari. Both wrestlers easily made their way through early matches, but Ortega's tough mentality, incredible positioning and quick decision making gave her the advantage in the finals. Finals score: Ortega over Fazzari 3-1.
RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
53kgs – Danielle Garcia 5-1, 3rd
57kgs – Allison Petix 2-2, 4th
59kgs – Alyssa Aceval 2-0, 1st
62kgs – Nicole Joseph 2-2, 4th
72kgs – Hailey Cancelleri 0-2
- Sunday, November 10th the Tornado return to action at the East Stroudsburg Open in East Stroudsburg, Pa.