LEBANON, Ill. - The King University women's wrestling team traveled to the Bearcat Open today and walked away with five podium finishes. The Tornado was led by 101 pound Jaclyn McNichols, finishing 3-0 on the day and taking first.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At 101 pounds McNichols led the Tornado today with their only first place finish. She wasted no time in her first match with a perfect 10-0 technical fall. She proceeded with a 3-2 upset over Emmanuel College en route to the finals. In the final match she shocked the tournament by knocking off the number one seed from Colorado Mesa University with a 2-1 victory.
- Aleeah Gould began the day strong at 109 pounds with a first round win by technical fall. After falling in the semi-finals she recovered with two more flawless tech falls and another win by fall. She finished the day 5th.
- Phoenix Dubose absolutely tore her way through the 123 pound bracket on her way to the finals. She outscored opponents 33-0 in her first three matches. In the finals she would come up just short, though; losing to Simon Fraser University 8-3 to take second.
- Allison Petix had a strong first round with another Tornado 10-0 tech fall. After falling in the second round Petix made a hard rally all the way back to 3rd place. She outscored opponents 42-2 in her final four matches.
- At 191 pounds Tavi Heidelberg continues to make the podium this semester. Her first round win was by fall and her second round win by decision. She came up short in the semi-finals but wrestled back to 5th place with a first period pin.
RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
101lbs – Jaclyn McNichols 3-0, 1st
123lbs - Phoenix Dubose 3-1, 2nd
130lbs – Allison Petix 5-1, 3rd
155lbs – Hailey Cancelleri 1-2
170lbs - Jordyn Godin 1-2
191lbs – Tavi Heidelberg 3-2; 5th
- Tornado are in action on February 22 when they travel to the Emmanuel Open.