ADRIAN, Mich. – The King University women's wrestling team finished up regular season competition at the Women's Collegiate Wrestling Coalition (WCWC) National Championships and concluded the weekend with 10 All-Americans and two national finalists. Cheyenne Sisenstein and Tavi Heidelberg-Tillotson led the Tornado with runner-up finishes in the 123 and 191 to lead the Tornado to a third place finish.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At 101 pounds Jaclyn McNichols picked up a tech fall early but lost in the semifinals. She recovered well with another tech fall in the consolation semifinals but dropped a 2-1 decision to take fourth.
- At 109 pounds Aleeah Gould also started very strong with a tech fall and two decisions to advance to the semifinals. Here she would come up short but wrestle back to take fifth.
- At 123 pounds Sisenstein grabbed a quick fall, a decision and a tech fall to advance to the finals. In the finals she lost to Simon Fraser University to take second.
- Also at 123 pounds Phoenix Dubose advanced to the semifinals with a fall and decision. Here she met teammate Sisenstein and fell into consolation. She recovered quickly with a win in the consolation semifinals and ultimately took fourth.
- At 130 pounds Allison Petix would be another Tornado to make the semifinals. She grabbed two decisions and a tech fall before falling into consolation. She finished up with a win by decision to take fifth.
- Also at 130 pounds Alyssa Aceval won by tech fall and then decision before dropping into consolation. She grabbed a key win here to solidify her All-American status and take seventh.
- At 136 pounds Ana Luciano also advanced to the semifinals with a tech fall and a decision. After falling to consolation she won the consolation semifinals by fall in 30 seconds and took fourth.
- At 143 pounds Ashlynn Ortega started very strong with two tech falls. She lost in the semifinals but a tech fall and a decision later she found herself in third.
- At 170 pounds Nia Crosdale grabbed a tech fall first round but found herself in the consolation bracket early. She went on a three-match win streak to advance all the way to the consolation finals and take fourth.
- At 191 pounds Tavi Heidelberg-Tillotson picked up two solid decisions to advance to the finals. Here she lost to McKendree to take second.
RESULTS BY WEIGHT CLASS
101 - Jaclyn McNichols 3-2, 4th
109 - Aleeah Gould 4-2, 5th
123 - Cheyenne Sisenstein 2-1, 2nd
123 - Phoenix Dubose 3-2, 4th
130 - Allison Petix 4-2, 5th
130 - Alyssa Aceval 5-2, 7th
136 - Ana Luciano 3-2, 4th
143 - Ashlynn Ortega 4-1, 3rd
170 - Nia Crosdale 4-2, 4th
191 - Tavi Heidelberg-Tillotson 2-1, 2nd
- April 4-5 the Tornado travel to State College, Pa. to compete in the US Olympic Trials.